Man to face court on sex assault, forced labour and human trafficking charges

Facing court

A 53-year-old man will face the ACT Magistrate’s Court this morning (Thursday, 15 February 2018), after his extradition from New South Wales.

Commencing in August last year, officers from ACT Policing’s Criminal Investigations team conducted a complex, six-month-long investigation into allegations of forced labour and human trafficking.

On Tuesday (13 February 2018) ACT Policing, with the assistance of New South Wales Police Force and Australian Border Force officers, executed a search warrant at a premise in Auburn.

A 53-year-old man was subsequently charged with a number of state based offences, including two counts of sexual intercourse without consent and one count of act of indecency without consent. He appeared before Burwood Local Court yesterday where his extradition to the ACT was granted.

Yesterday he was also charged with Commonwealth offences including trafficking in persons, forced labour and immigration matters.  

Investigations into the actions of this man are ongoing and further charges are anticipated.

Superintendent Scott Moller from ACT Policing’s Criminal Investigations team said that this type of crime is particularly heinous.

“We will allege that this man actively procured young women from overseas with the sole intent of providing those women to men for sexual services,” said Superintendent Moller.

“This has been a long and complex investigation that has resulted in the man being brought before the court. This is a great outcome for the victims involved.”

Police urge anyone who may have any information about this matter or any other human trafficking matter to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers ACT website. Information can be provided anonymously.

NOTE TO MEDIA  - Footage associated with the arrest of this man is available at: https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/QdgrPX89oj

Media enquiries

Police Media — (02) 6264 9460, act-police-media@afp.gov.au