Man extradited to the ACT to face drug trafficking charges

UPDATE

A 37-year-old Cooma man has been extradited to the ACT to face drug trafficking charges relating to Operation Ronin in 2016.

In September 2016, members of ACT Policing’s Criminal Investigations team executed a search warrant at a residence in Palmerston, ACT.

During the warrant, police located a safe. Within the safe, police located and seized approximately two kilograms of methylamphetamine and approximately one and a half kilograms of heroin, with a potential street value of over two million dollars.

A man wanted in connection with the drugs has remained at large since that time.

Earlier this month a 37-year-old Cooma man was arrested by New South Wales Police on unrelated matters.

Yesterday, (8 January 2019) ACT Police Criminal Investigations officers attended Queanbeyan Local Court and successfully applied for the man’s extradition. He is expected to appear in the ACT Magistrates court today (Wednesday 9 January 2019) to face drug trafficking charges. Bail will be opposed.

Detective Acting Superintendent Matthew Reynolds said operation Ronin activities continue two years on.

“Operation Ronin was a highly successful operation for ACT Policing and the community - seeing numerous offenders charged with a range of offences,” said Detective Acting Superintendent Reynolds.

“And our work to track down others involved in these matters has continued. This arrest and extradition of this man is fair warning to those involved in the illicit supply of drugs that ACTP will locate you and bring you before the Court.”

 

Previous media releases relating to Operation Ronin:

https://policenews.act.gov.au/news/media-releases/more-2-million-worth-illicit-drugs-seized

https://policenews.act.gov.au/news/media-releases/27-people-face-court-following-operation-ronin

 

Media enquiries

Police Media — (02) 6264 9460, act-police-media@afp.gov.au